Friday, August 12, 2011

I grow good grass.

I inherited a garden. It is HUGE. It is maybe 50 by 100 feet. It is too big for me and my schedule. You live and learn. Next year I will do it differently, I think raised beds and much, much smaller. Right now I am growing a lot of very lush beautiful grass. As well as some delicious veggies and raspberries.

Papa foxtrot asked me if I remembered how proud I was when I got the earth turned back in April. Of course I do. It felt so good, it was soft and brown and smelt oh so good. I had blisters on every finger and I didn't care. Foxtrot ate chicken poop out of the garden and helped pull weeds. It was delightful. Who knew six weeks of full time college courses would result in an abundance of weeds along with spinach, arugula, and radishes that would go to seed? Well I suppose I should have know this.

We have now had what feels close to "summer" weather for the last two weeks. . . temperatures in the high 70's and no rain. So a watering we will go.

I have had many a delicious salads with all ingredients straight from the garden. My favorite combination is kale, swiss chard, onions, broccoli, carrots, beets, and raspberries. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm. Sounds good. No dressings needed. We are now picking snow peas and bush beans. I've got dill shooting up, I see dilly beans in our future. Every day I eat fresh carrots, dirt and all, which are significantly more tasty than any grocery store carrot. Khol rabi, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts, oh my. The zucchini and red cabbages are on their way. The corn is no way near an elephant's eye, but maybe his thigh. I've got pumpkins for the fall. Some melons shooting out. . . but I don't think the growing season will be long enough.

Foxtrot loves the raspberries as he only has two teeth and I think they are both 'sweet teeth.'

Here are some iphone photos.


he did eat goat poop today because he thought it was blueberries.

kale

swiss chard

broccoli

red cabbage

zucchini 

khol rabi

foxtrot eating berries

and after a long day in the garden all farmers need a nap

3 comments:

  1. garden looks great! don't feed your baby poop. i'll call the authorities. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't serve it in a bowl or anything. :)

    ReplyDelete